10 Tips to Lose Weight Naturally and Maintain a Healthy Weight Loss Plan
Obesity is on the rise and over 70% of the population is overweight or obese. Most people or the patients that we interviewed would say that they would want to lose a few pounds to feel better or improve on their medical conditions. According to research, every five to ten pounds that you can drop then your cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes will improves from borderline to normal range. Thus, it is difficult to drop the last 10 pounds and it can be overwhelming process. It should be a lifestyle changes NOT just a temporary quick diet fix. The best long lasting weight loss results should occur over a period of time. Here are a few tips to keep you going strong on your healthy weight loss journey!
1. Plan ahead. Meal planning is key to maintaining a healthy diet. Last minute meals when you’re hungry can lead to less healthy choices. Be sure to include a variety of foods including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and whole grains. Eat more small meals rather than three big meals throughout the day
2. Avoid commercially pre-prepared foods. Many of the fast food or store bought snacks are high in fat, low in fiber and usually heavily salted. Pre packaged food from the store contains many preservatives that cause your body store fat and often chemical that create cancer cells. When you cook from scratch you can control what goes in your body, opting for lower calorie versions and the food still tastes good.
3. Pre-package your own healthy snacks. Prepare your own healthy snacks or shop for healthy snacks at the supermarket so you can have them ready when you are hungry. *Hint: Put them in see-through containers so you will see them when you open the fridge! This helps develop good food habits for your kids, too.
4. Pack your lunch. In order to lose weight and develop long term habits then you have to prepare your own lunch. Not only will it save you money but you will have more control over the amount calories goes in your body. Prepare your healthy weekly lunch at the end of each week. This way you know what is going into your body and the benefits of the food without feeling regrets or doubts of what you put into your body. This habit will help you shed at least 5 lbs in a month. Dr J’s patients can attest to this good habit and help them lose weight naturally.
5. 80/20 RULE. The rule of thumb to a healthy weight is 80% eating and 20% exercise. Need to put in at least 45 minutes to 60 minutes of cardio or high intensity training in order to burn the most calories to help many benefits for better health and control your weight better.
6. Set SMART goals. Smart goal is realistic and achievable. If you set your goals too high and can’t achieve your goals then it can be discouraging. Make sure to write down your goal and re-set a new goal once you reach each milestone of your goal. In order to lose weight realistically, 1-2 pounds a week can be easily obtain in a healthy way.
7. Do not weigh yourself every day. Each body functions differently so you may fluctuate your weight throughout the day so it is not recommend to weigh yourself daily. Weight before your goal set and step on the scale each week to make sure that you are on track. Focus on healthy living, not the scale!!!
8. Get adequate sleep. Studies show that sleep deprivation can contribute to weight gain. Sleep helps reduce stress. Stress is related to increased levels of the hormone cortisol which stimulates appetite which stores fat in your stomach.Your energy expenditure is also reduced when you're tired, resulting in fewer calories burned.
9. Drink water. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. Water is a critical for each organ in your body to operate properly because , after all, our body is made up of 70% of water. Fat is very difficult to break up and in order to help the breakdown of fat then you need to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces. For example, a person weight 120 lbs then should drink at least 60 ounces of water.
10. Baby steps. Little changes, consistently applied, add up to big losses. Simple diet substitutions can save 100 calories at a time. Also, baby steps on your healthy lifestyle will result in massive results overtime.